HEADER BLOG TITLE

15/08/2013

Single Crochet Skinny Scarf


Hello!  I had a great time hooking this looooong skinny scarf over the past three days. I hooked it as a gift for a friend and then . . .  fell in love with it. Oops, I feel so guilty but it really livens up my wardrobe and I have decided to keeping it.  The good news is that I have already started a new scarf with a dotty pattern for my friend. Yay, I have been waiting for the right project to come along so that I could finally try out the "Squaring the Circle" pattern in US Treble crochet. 

I love how this scarf and my printed tights liven up a winter's day!


Skinny Scarf Pattern

To begin: chain 350
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each of the next 348 chs, ch 1 (to turn) (349 sc)
Next few rows depending on the required width as per personal preference: sc in each sc across, then ch 1 to turn (349 sc). This scarf consists of 12 rows of sc
Edging: sc in 1st stitch. Then * sc, hdc, sc in next sc to form small shell. Skip next sc * Repeat between * The shell is thus hooked in every second sc of the previous row.
Then: Turn the scarf and crochet one row sc in the foundation row.
Repeat the edging.

Hook Size: 5mm
Yarn
Vinnis Nikkim in various colours
Vinnis Bambi in Seagreen
Kismet Strawberries and Cream in Charcoal Colour 8. This yarn is made of 50% recycled cotton and 50% Acrylic and is available in beautiful muted, chalky colours.  It splits quite badly though and is not a yarn I will use to hook larger projects with. 

Spring will sprung soon here in South Africa. We experienced a mild winter this year but after a harsh one last year nobody is complaining!  I love summer and am glad to see the seasonal changes kicking in. Yay, I cannot wait to enjoy numerous picnics and open air cinema again.
xxxxx

17 comments:

  1. Lovely and elegant scarf and so kind of you to share the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik vind die echt super mooi en die kleuren passen geweldig bij je kousen. Bedankt voor de beschrijving, de sjaal staat op mijn to do lijstje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dis 'n lekker, vinnige patroon! Geniet die haakwerk.

      Delete
  3. That is super cute - I can see why you kept it for yourself.

    Very often I've made something that was intended as a gift and I've kept it for myself.

    Conversely I've made things that I thought were for myself, but ended up being for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank goodness someone is making me feel better. I was wearing it this weekend and it was quite a conversation starter among all the hookers!

      Delete
  4. Agree with the colour choice. Lovely.

    I made a hat (and a cape, and a scarf etc.) for someone else and loved it (them) so much that after I sent it(them) off, I sat down and made exactly the same for myself!

    Sometimes the yarn and the project dictate to us where they are meant to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I agree, my yarn also takes me to unexpected places from time to time!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your lovely pictures and for sharing the pattern.
    Here (in Holland) we still have summer holidays and I would like to start this project today. Although spring wetter was very cold, summer doing her best. So we can crochet in the garden and enjoy late evenings outside.
    Wishing the end of the winter will come soon for you, so you can enjoy your outdoor activities.
    Best regards,
    Nathaly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors and the scarf is really elegant!
    Lucky you, summer is coming.
    Here in germany it´s going into autumn.
    XO, Martina♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. the colors are so great together. now we are in the middle of summer and don't need scarves :) but it is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Viva Vinnis LOL - One can do so much with the colours but I really liked this one too.

      Delete
  10. it is very pretty, I love the colours you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone - the colours are definitely yummy and I will use the combination again. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the shawl, and lovelovelove (the chalky colors of) the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are stunning and convinced me to do something bigger in the same colour combo - like a throw or so!

      Delete