HEADER BLOG TITLE

30/05/2014

Progress: The Mud and Dust, the Soil and Sands of Africa



I am completely mesmerised by the variations of white in the palette for the throw inspired by the Mother continent. It is gorgeous, even if I have to say so myself! The textures and changing sheens of the different yarns I am using offer such a positive tactile experience that I have struggled to put my hook down since I started working with the light neutrals.

These whites and off-whites act as a brilliant accent to the mid tone greys making up the rest of the palette. A quality of white is that it allows the mind to be open, clear and receptive. It also signifies strength. At this moment working in variations of white provides me with an escape and respite from the madness that comes along with moving between different continents. (It is the madness of being in transition, of finding myself among foreign cultures, of living in crazy urban environments that makes me tick, but one needs neutral space too!!)

I am also once again acutely aware how different environments impact on my colour preferences.  I enjoy lighter neutrals when living in desert environments, it simply suits the warmer skies and prevalence of marble and sandstone. When we lived in tropical Penang I find myself leaning towards colours that pack punch, the Tropics are all about hot colours and tall cool drinks. 

Knowing that I was saying goodbye to Africa, reminiscing over my childhood not only led me to the inspiration and colour choices behind this project, but it actually provided me with a link to my beloved Arabia.  Whilst Africa is my home on paper, I have long since adopted the Middle East as the place where I belong. I like that this throw represents Mother Africa and that it serves as a vehicle to integrate back into Gulf living. 

On that note, please feel free to also peruse my MadameX and Raw Rustic Pinterest boards in addition to the Pigtails one.  You will see my love for neutrals reflected in the first two!


Images of yarn: own; all other images: Raw Rustic Pinterest


Enjoy a lovely weekend. Friday and Saturday is weekend in the Middle East and Sunday is a normal working/school day here. 
xxxx


15 comments:

  1. Hello Magda,
    How stylish everything looks, it is beyond beautiful. Love to look how you put the pictures together, love all the shades,
    Hope you will have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not a blog post, but a photographic exhibition : wonderful!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors again look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And "they say" white is not a colour... magnificent.. just looking at the photos on this post, is a feast for the eyes...
    And with every post you write, I'm getting more curious to see the finished Mother Africa project...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photo's and layout, a lovely thoughtful piece and gives one a great sense of peace. The whites and neutrals make a great statement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful : your choice of photos is always fascinating :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those hexagons, Magda! In fact after you posted the link to the hexagon pattern in previous posts, I thought I'd give it a go. I hope you don't mind. Mine will be blues / khakis / off whites. I think I want to add greys into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all! I have since seen that this is a vintage pattern and previous versions consist of about 5 or 6 rounds. The colours sound gorgeous and I think grey will be a great addition. Cheers!

      Delete
  8. Amaaaaazing. Love the different textures, everything. Pleaeaease publish a book about your crochet art & your inspiration. (I'm saying this out of egocentrism, you know, because that book is seriously lacking in my life, ha!)
    xhaafner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee that is how I feel about your work and travels! xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi Magda, thank you for the beautiful post. As always I find myself drowning in your beautiful choices of colours, the make me feel so happy😊 Maybe someday I will pluck up the courage to crochet a throw. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone, I almost feel guilty for sticking to simple patterns all the time, but then this is what I like. Cheers and thank you for leaving comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so thrilled to have found your blog (on Cowgirlblues) and love your work. Especially the blanket inspired by the Turkish bath.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pleasure to have found your beautiful and inspiring blog! xx, Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm going to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!
    best deals melbourne

    ReplyDelete