HEADER BLOG TITLE

20/11/2014

Liebster Award!


Last week I was awarded a Liebster by the ebullient and vivacious Beatrix Snyman of Btrix Dsigns. Thank you so much Beatrix, I really miss connecting with you over a cup of coffee and a ball of yarn! I also miss seeing your sales skills in action, no-one I know can close a deal quite in the way you do! Somehow I always spent more money than intended with you around, but I ended up loving the yarn so much, it didn't matter you rascal! In fact, the Istanbul inspired blanket published in Simply Crochet is the result of one such dealing between Beatrix and I. To any South African readers - if you live near Beatrix in South Africa and you haven't met her yet (whether to buy yarn or to attend a workshop) you are losing out! 

1. Why did you start a blog and what do you mainly blog about?  Blogging to me is a hobby as much as crocheting is. I blog to stay connected with other bloggers and observe patterns and trends with regard to craft and social media alike. I blog about crocheting and living life as a global nomad.

2. Did you realize that crochet is becoming the new black? Why do you think it is becoming so popular? Li Edelkoort in Trend Tablet nailed it when she spoke about crocheting, knitting and other textiles "In reaction to our virtual existence, we will need more real emotions and unknown surprising scenarios: tactility and dimension to compensate the flat screens in our lives, to give pleasure to our fingers."

3. What is your biggest reason for crocheting/knitting? Connecting with people and hearing, seeing their stories as told through craft.

4. Do you prefer working from a pattern or do you make up your own pattern as you go? Why? I do one of three things - design my own simple pattern; adapt an existing pattern or use an existing pattern. I always learn new techniques and manipulate yarn in either one of these three scenarios.

5. Who is your favorite crochet/knitting designer. Why? I really prefer the work by all the unknown women of Africa and Asia - those who produce the visions of designers such as Sophie Digard and Anne Claire Petit. These women are hugely talented and almost no one is telling their stories!

6. What is your favorite fiber to work with? Why? Any natural plant fibers because it is most suitable to the climate in the Middle East and South East Asia. I have a great passion for raw, natural materials opposed to man made ones.

7. Which is your favorite yarn brand and why? I have a great love affair with Vinnis Nikkim, Bambi and Serina as well as Colours of Grace. These yarns define my style and everything I make in either of these stand head and shoulders above any other yarns I use.

8. In short, give an overview of your craft journey since it started. One word: hooked!

9. I assume you have a few WIP’s. Who doesn’t? So what inspired your current WIP’s? Yes, name all of them! Ah, never assume! I work on one project at a time and at this very moment I do not have a single WIP to my name since I am awaiting delivery of a special hand dyed yarn order to start a special project!

10. Where is the most unexpected place you ever crochet/knitted?  I have enjoyed hooking in many interesting places - from the overnight train between Penang and Bangkok to the beach in Teluk Bahang National Park overlooking a village build in the ocean. I also kept yarn and a hook in my lap whilst driving in the very slow moving Penang traffic, crocheting a few rows or rounds at red traffic lights or when stuck in traffic.

11. Which project/design/pattern was your biggest challenge up to now and why?  The Barcelona jacket/bolero because it is a poorly written pattern and I am also not an expert in making wearables, meaning I couldn't improvise!

The Questions for my nominees:
1. Animal fiber, plant fiber or other fiber? 
2. Variegated or solid?
3. Colours or textures?
4. Pattern or plain?
5. How do you organise your stash?
6. Favourite projects to make?
7. How many WIPs are you working on?
8. Where is your favourite hooky place?
9. What three words best describe you?
10. Which travelling destination is on top of your bucket list?

My nominees are:
Andree, About Crochet
Sylvia, Tama Pollo
Ingrid, Little Birdy
Chrissie, Chrissie Crafts

Congratulations, you have just been awarded a Liebster!



7 comments:

  1. So interesting to read - I really had to laugh imagining you in a car, driving, crochet work on your lap and picking it up at every red light :-))). And then forgetting to drive on when the lights go green again...
    When I have a crochet project, I crochet whenever I can, but never when I'm driving ! My gosh with the traffic police here in Belgium, that would bring me a whole collection of fines !!
    And oh my - the liebster award.... I am honoured... Will know what to do over the weekend ;-))))
    Soentjies & 'n drukkie !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. …. a good read, just to know you a little better !!!!! ;oD
    xxxxxx ale and congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read! And great blogs you nominated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Magda,
    Really a great post, very enjoyable to read:) Also recognizable!
    Thanks so much for nominating me, congratulations with yours! I feel flattered!
    Wish you a wonderful weekend, hug :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Magda! Thanks for the award ! It's funny to discover that you crochet in the traffic jam and it will be very nice to answer your question! Have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Magda, I would love to read your answers to your nominees' questions that haven't already been answered by this post! ;-)
    Having one project at a time is the best way to be productive and get things finished as quickly as you do. I look forward to seeing your next amazing creation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations with the award an thanks for introducing a couple of new-to-me-blogs! The amount of creativity on internet is just fab, isn't it!
    Love the yarny landrover. ;-)
    Happy day!
    xhaafner

    ReplyDelete