HEADER BLOG TITLE

12/04/2013

Why I blocked all my squares!


Steam blocking is a gentle way to shape crochet squares:

Pin and then hold steam iron over finished crochet squares so that the steam penetrates the squares without adding the weight of the iron pressing down on it - steam each square before placing the next one on top.  

Because we currently live in sunny South Africa, I am able to pile about 5-6 squares on the block, place it in the sun and all the squares are dry within half an hour.  My block is big enough to take 2 squares next to one another so I am able to block 10-12 simultaneously without much hassle. 

I like rustic processes and certainly did not feel guilty pinning my squares on nails rather than pinning down with delicate pins.  The nails are not rusty and because I edged the squares with a more bulky yarn, seeing the slight rounded shapes the nails left behind, only added to the process rather than  ruining it.

For more detailed information about steam blocking cotton, take a look at How to Steam-Block Knitting or Crochet

Enjoy your weekend, Autumn is kicking in here whilst many of you are preparing for gorgeous Spring!



10 comments:

  1. The yarn you are using is lovely. I've never blocked anything before, but once the summer heat rolls around, things outside would dry in a matter of minutes. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blocking really made a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. like your nail blocking method!!!!! ;oD
    xxxx Ale
    happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of blocking with nails :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blocking made a BIG difference! I am anally neat when I crochet but I used a much bigger hook and the yarn is very soft so it did not retain shape they way it would have with the recommended hook size. The blocking took care of this beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I underestimate the process of blocking. I do it only for the doilies. I have never it for the scarves or blanket. Should I block them as well?
      Love
      Your latest follower :)

      Delete
    2. I think it depends on the yarn, hook size and pattern. Just follow your intuition. I am also busy with another throw where I am using a much smaller hook size and the same yarn as this one, but will not be blocking the squares. Meh, I am rather lazy with the blocking but it was needed with this project and the results were amazing. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea. Currently I 'wet' the square and then pin on a towel placed on the dinning table and leave for a week. Its not too hot in the UK!

    Might have to make a little blocking board like that and then just steam them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steam blocking is definitely quick - from steaming to drying!

      Delete
  7. Best Corporate Video Production Company in Bangalore and top Explainer Video Company, 3d, 2d Animation Video Makers in Chennai
    Thanks for sharing the blog, check here my blog on corporate videos

    ReplyDelete