HEADER BLOG TITLE

21/11/2013

My crochet bag frustrations

Hello! Last week I found these gorgeous bags on Pinterest and immediately decided to hook my own bag consisting of a crochet outer, linen inner and leather straps. Don't you just love these bags?!


On searching the internet for inspiration, Google led me to the most beautiful filet crochet design. In short: I made a complete mess of the design and decided to leave it for another day, another yarn.  That day will come soon though, I love this pattern!


I then hooked up three samples of the pretty Juliet Motif by Amanda Perkins but quickly realised when I joined the motifs that her designs are most suited to soft, drapey natural yarn.  A single motif in the raw cotton looks very pretty; when joined the lovely snowflake-like corners simply disappear and the effect of the motif is lost. Another idea  c a n n e d ! !  

Searching yet again, I came across the Acrobatic Stitch published by New Stitch a Day. Hmmm apart from the fact that it hooks up a crescent moon pattern in stead of the expected square, please note that the video tutorial does not correspond with the written instructions. These are two different patterns and it was the video tutorial that resulted in the crescent moon. Aaaaaaaargh!



H e l l   N o ! ! !   All I wanted to do was to settle on the couch and enjoy a bit of rhythmic hooky time, but I found myself trawling the Net once again.  I finally found THE pattern. You will find 10 photos on this link, I used the pattern as per photo nr. 4, the sample was hooked in what appears to be green paper.

The Bag!


I now need to buy linen and leather before I can assemble the bag. I cannot wait!  The piece of crochet for the bag measures 100 cm x 45 cm before folded in half.  It is a great size and since I love wearing clothes in the below styles and colours, I think my bag will look quite stylish, what do you think?


Cheers!
cxxxxx

14 comments:

  1. Your blogpost is `feast of recognition` and made me smile. And yes, your bag will look stylish, cannot wait to see it. Three of my favorite materials together ------

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness I was frustrated tee heeee! I also tried out new yarn and it hooked up differently to my normal Vinnis Nikkim I prefer to be working with. The string like yarn I used is perfect for a bag though, albeit a bit too round under my sensitive fingers. Thank goodness I am already hooking a lovely shawl without any problems!

      Delete
  2. It's going to look lovely I think. After a few false starts, I'm glad you've worked out a good pattern. I shall watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ! I am eager to complete the bag!

      Delete
  3. Normaal gezien is 3 keer scheepsrecht zeggen ze bij ons maar voor jou is dat de vierde keer. Zoals alles wat jij maakt zal deze "bag" ook weer fantastisch mooi worden!
    En ik ken dat aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhh gevoel ook :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ek wil nooit weer so sukkel nie, dit was te frustrerend.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this story.
    Many will recognize it.
    Curious to see your bag when finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me want to get out my hooks.
    I think your style is like my style too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get hooking! I have a great love for fashion and design and like putting raw and minimalist together to achieve a new look.

      Delete
  6. Hi this made me giggle as I'm often in this situation and its so darn frustrating!! I think your perseverance paid off and I love the final design the most so well done!! I'm Linda drooling over those pics and yes yes yes for all those gorgeous greys. I don't think I will ever get bored of this gorgeous colour bust saw you typing in Afrikaans, you from there?? Anyways Lekker naweek xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am South African but identify more as a global nomad! I am not terribly patriotic and prefer to traipse the globe.

      Delete
  7. I know the feeling! Sometimes things don´t go as expected. But the experience does not go to waste...it always teaches us something. You have some nice projects in sight, and you will enjoy them soon, I am sure ;-) Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post amused me, and I can imagine searching for the right pattern! I am glad to hear you found one that you liked :)

    ReplyDelete